Talk to a

Filipino Divorce Lawyer in Texas

Once you complete the search form below, we submit your legal issue to licensed, pre-screened Filipino divorce attorneys in Texas matching your search criteria.

Please note that your submission gives permission for the attorneys we match you with to contact you. It does not create an attorney-client relationship. If an attorney agrees to represent you, they will formalize their professional relationship with you directly.

Thank you for confirming your phone number

Do you need a divorce to end a common law marriage?

I’ve been living with my girlfriend for almost 10 years. Things are not going well even though we’ve been going to counseling and I am considering ending the relationship. We live in Dallas and I know common law marriage can be a legal marriage in Texas. I was never concerned about it because I never thought we’d break up. We didn’t get officially married because she would have lost the retirement payments she got from her ex-husband if she remarried. I put her name on my house and we own other property together. If I do decide to leave the relationship, do I need to get a divorce in order to deal with the division of our property if she and I can’t agree? I suspect that if I tell her it’s over, she will make things very difficult and not want to settle things with me without involving court.
Published on 03/08/21
Answers: 0