Talk to a

Filipino Lawyer in Dallas

We will submit your legal issue to licensed, pre-screened Filipino attorneys in Dallas, Texas who match your search criteria. We verify the licenses of attorneys whom we connect clients with once a year and require them to maintain a zero misconduct record with the state agency issuing their license.

Please note that this submission doesn't create an attorney-client communication. Attorney client relationship is formed only when attorney formally agrees to represent you. By submitting the form below you are giving permission to the attorneys we match you with to contact you.

Thank you for confirming your phone number

Do you need a divorce to end a common law marriage?

I’ve been living with my girlfriend for almost 10 years. Things are not going well even though we’ve been going to counseling and I am considering ending the relationship. We live in Dallas and I know common law marriage can be a legal marriage in Texas. I was never concerned about it because I never thought we’d break up. We didn’t get officially married because she would have lost the retirement payments she got from her ex-husband if she remarried. I put her name on my house and we own other property together. If I do decide to leave the relationship, do I need to get a divorce in order to deal with the division of our property if she and I can’t agree? I suspect that if I tell her it’s over, she will make things very difficult and not want to settle things with me without involving court.
Published on 03/08/21
Answers: 0